[NSRCA-discussion] Wing Cores

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Fri Dec 28 05:50:12 AKST 2007

I had used the contact cement method back in the 70's with the 3M-77glue.
It worked great. But after a few years sitting out in the sun the contact
cement
would dry out and the sheeting would delaminate. This was on a painted wing.
The sheeting would come up in bubbles and the only way to fix this was to
iron
it down with an iron set to just below the melting point of the paint. This
would
reactivate the glue again and the sheeting would stick down to the foam
core.
After that I changed to epoxy and never had any problems like that again.
If you only have your plane for about 2-3 years it is not a problem, but I
usually
keep my planes for 6-8 years and that's when it will show the problem of
delaminating.

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com