[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba and pattern ( A plus for Futaba)

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sun Dec 23 09:08:57 AKST 2007

Bob,

I would think that 256 resolution would mask poor stick centering.
Think about 3 step resolution. Right, neutral left.  When you select
neutral it is always the same unless you move the stick to the extreme
where you get right or left.  The problem is you can't trim neutral
unless you do it with another channel like folks did back in the reed
days.  Move the servo with another servo.

You had many factors affecting trim in your 8 bit system starting with
drift in the servos and an AM link that introduced large changes in
pulse width to the servos as signal strength changed.  You could
adjust linkages everyday and not keep up with everything that was
fighting you.

So if low resolution masks poor stick centering then more resolution
must emphasize it.  This has always bothered me.  I learned long ago
that the servos can resolve pulse widths that would appear to be in
the servo deadband.  In the early dual rate schemes we had to adjust
the neutral if we changed the dual rate setting.  I tried using a
servo to do this.  Adjust the pot until the servo didn't move as I
switched the dual rate switch back and forth. Go fly.  Every time I
threw the rate switch the trim would change.  Went home looked at it
on a scope and sure enough the pulse width was changing.  Adjusted it
so it didn't and the trim didn't change with the position of the rate
switch when I flew.

This week I got a Futaba 14MZ.  I checked the stick centering with a
scope.  Not perfect.  Plus or minus a few bits.  Now a bit in a 2048
is only about a half of a microsecond change in pulse width to the
servo so most folks don't care.  However I found that with the line or
spline curve programming of the control sicks I can put in a plus and
minus .5% deadband in the stick.  Now the centering is perfect no
matter how I return the stick to neutral and I can trim it in .5
microsecond increments.

I love this high tech stuff.

Jim O