[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba and pattern

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 11:11:38 AKST 2007

My "local R/C electronic techie' responded after I forwarded the
below e-mail to him.  Some of you may remember him; he's Curt Oberg,
a pretty fair Pattern competitor himself.  He's what Curt said:

"Ron, yep, the MP8K is alive and doing well.  A few days ago, a
single stick was listed on eBay and the last bid was for $360.  Don’t
know what it ended up being sold for.    As far as using the Futuba/
Jr modules with the MP8K, lots of guys are doing that all ready.  The
legality of using them on 72mhz has been widely discussed but many of
the MP8K users have HAM licenses and operate on 6 meters so it’s not
an issue for them.  A lot of them are also in use overseas.  Several
of the MP8K owners have converted their systems to 2.4 gig and Dan
Thompson in Kentucky is actively pursuing making it compatible with
all the different versions.

"As far as the comment that it would not be suitable for pattern
because it’s only 256 resolution, I think that the resolution of the
thumbs resting on the sticks is even lower than that,  certainly in
my age group.  When I was working and still playing an occasional
round of golf, I had a co-worker that was buying a new set of golf
clubs after just taking up the game.  He shopped around, looking at
different brands of golf clubs and one day he showed me a brochure of
his final choice for a new set of clubs.  The brochure claimed that
their clubs were dynamically balanced, harmonically tuned, perfectly
fitted, etc. and I told him that I would never buy those clubs
because it would reinforce the fact that I just suck at the game of
golf every time I hit a bad shot, which was fairly often.

Curt