[NSRCA-discussion] Gov'ment Job.......was: Re: Off topic

Gray E Fowler gfowler at Raytheon.com
Thu Dec 13 07:32:15 AKST 2007

Digital distortion is an absolute disaster, but is so easy to prevent,
unlike analog which can creep up to clip.

Jimmy Page "remastered" all the Led Zep  1/2 track tapes for CD box set
release. The reason is that in the analog days, the 1/2 track would be
equalized knowing that the record pressing would loose and add certain
frequencies. Digital acurrately reproduces. This has made recording much
easier and cheaper. No longer is a chain of experts required to get a song
from A to Z, even then it would change alot. I have help my musician
buddies, still dumb enough to be in the business, record and release all
digital "home" recordings that equal studio quality-and the performances
and superior because there is no money clock ticking at $175/hour.
Recording was like talking to a lawyer...get to the point at $175/hr!!!!!

Anyone care why I have a tube amp guitar amplifier, but hate tube amp
PA/stereo amps?

"Digital done well is great. Digital done poorly is really bad. I have
three versions of Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" . . .   an original vinyl LP,
an early digital release, and a later "Audiophile" digital release. The
original LP sounds good, the early digital is bad. I assume whomever
transferred the original analog to digital had the volume set real low to
avoid clipping, then digitally "amplified" the data.  The result is hard
to describe, but the "digital distortion" is most noticible on the
persussion.  The later digital version sounds better than the LP.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com "

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer