[NSRCA-discussion] Hatori Short Pipe O-Rings

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Dec 11 21:09:16 AKST 2007

If you have your engine leaking it is because the engine has a leak, orings,
gaskets or the likes. On the DZ engine you can to some extent overcome this
issue by richening the pump a bit, however the leaks will always get worse
and worse. The black plastic check valve could be a source if you have
removed the little black clip that hold the fuel line to the intake tube.
The fuel line will pull on that check valve and cause it to wobble at its
base. Next thing is intake tube o-rings, valve cover gasket, and front
pushrod tube o-rings are next in line. A super rich pump setting can spit
from the carb intake " air valve" with excess oil that is in the bottom of
the engine. I have also seen loose head bolts cause this issue. If you have
an issue with the head bolts coming loose, replace the head gasket with a
new one and then tighten the head properly.

To solve the leaks replace the o-rings and or gaskets clean everything with
denatured alcohol and re-assemble with both parts clean and dry. In some
cases a small amount of alcohol will help lube the o-ring as it seats...but
do not install with any oil. Do not use rubbing alcohol for this as it
contains some water content. Denatured alky is the stuff to use. You can
make them absolutely dry as a bone doing this.

This issue can be masked if you have a leak in your header to pipe
connection as addressed ina previous email.

Troy Newman