[NSRCA-discussion] Metal Servo Arms

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 13:15:58 AKDT 2007

Bob

I agree - in reality servo arm / spline strength is pretty much of a mute point for pattern. I did the tests after a friend broke an 8411 shaft on a big gasser, and some heli friends claimed the Al arms stripped the spines from nylon servo shafts. Takes excessive force to do either.

Recall changing a clevis to a ball link on a Rossi carb arm - arm broke on the first flight, a doubled arm broke on the next - back to a clevis and never broke another. Vibratory forces aren't understood by most - but experience is a great teacher.

Somewhere I've some DSA data gathered with mini-accelerometers mounted on aileron servo mounts, firewalls, etc. One look at those data with and without a soft mount will make one a believer in soft mounts!

Earl