[NSRCA-discussion] mode 1 and 2 together?

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 08:28:20 AKDT 2007

I was around also.  All of the very early proportional systems were
single stick.  Examples were Space Control, Sampy, the Orbit analog and
other analog systems.  The big transition to proportional didn't come
along until digital proportional came out, because the analog systems
were so unreliable and unstable, drifting drastically with temperature
changes.  With the advent of digital proportional came the modes.  Mode
1 was designed to ease the transition from reeds to proportional.  Heck
there was even a digital system which had individual levers for each
control just like reeds, made by EK Logitrol, if memory serves
corrrectly. Kind of defeated one of the main benefits of proportional,
being able to mix controls at will.  Mode 2 was around at the same
time, as was single stick.  Most of the early digital systems were
available in all three versions.  Mode 2 and single stick were for
those who wanted to emulate real airplane controls, and Mode 1 was
basically an outgrowth from reeds.  I remember many, many arguments
about which was "better" that last even until today.  Most Americans
fly mode 2, and most Europeans fly Mode 1, a notable exception being
the current world champion.  Thumbs vs. finger flying was also as
debatable, thumb flying being a carry over from reeds.  My Dad and I
flew mode 2 from the start, although my Dad tried mode 1 for awhile,
but went back.   Single stick was very popular with many top flyers of
the day, but it phased out over time as they were expensive to make,
the American makers of radio gear died off, and new flyers gravitated
to dual sticks.

Jon Lowe