[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern is for elitist snobs?

ron at inweldcorp.com ron at inweldcorp.com
Sat Aug 25 07:54:17 AKDT 2007

I am new to pattern this year.  I got into it because I liked the smooth
precision flying I saw at the District 4-5 Shootout.  I had never seen
pattern before.  I went to my first contest in Quincy, Ohio a couple of
weeks ago and I have to say I really didn't enjoy it.  It was the
pressure.  I tried to tell myself I was just going out to practice at my
home field but my mind knew better and made me nervous anyway.  I think
as I become comfortable with the Sportsman routine I will enjoy trying
to make it precise instead of just surviving it.  Maybe then, I will try
another contest.

I used several different callers at the contest.  I learned the most
when I had a caller from a higher class.  My problem was when the caller
said start working your way back in, I wanted to say, How do you do
that.  But there is no time to learn while you are flying at a contest.
I know everyone is very busy at a contest either judging or flying.
However, If I could have had one caller from a higher class that would
act as my mentor and review each flight with me, I could have learned a
lot more.

To keep me in pattern, I need a mentor at my home field and that just
isn't available.  Trying to figure out what you are doing wrong on your
own is a very slow way to learn.  I am sure I practice many mistakes
over and over.  I have driven 1:45 away twice to get advice from Steve
Maxwell.  He has been very helpful!  I just wish he was a little closer.

Maybe if I get more comfortable with the Sportsman pattern, I will try
another contest next year.

Ron