[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern is for pilots that want to

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 21:27:30 AKDT 2007

Thank you John. Ryan and I were talking about this over building of a
pattern plane. Its not for everyone. I liked all your points too, and have
done all but #4 myself (as an official instructor, but have helped anyone
that has asked, or too scared to ask).

Just the other day Dave and I were out practicing and a guy we hadn't seen
before came out to the field. He watched part of my flight and when we
landed he was about halfway back to his car. We exchanged hello's, and he
told us that he was going to leave after watching me fly. We asked why, and
he said he was intimidated... So I did everything I could to make him feel
comfortable, and he stayed and we chatted about everything aviation (AA
pilot). Happy to say it was the 2nd flight that he broke the prop (he
thought he wouldn't make it 1 flight). But he loved the fact that I did the
same thing on take-off that he was doing, ground looping. So I showed and
explained to him the fix (toe-in) and then it looped once more, then it
took-off. He left with a huge smile on his face and was looking forward to
the next time. That was better than practice that day.

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com
www.composite-arf.com

  On Behalf Of John Pavlick

  As far as I'm concerned, there is really nothing "wrong" with what we're
doing. I don't think rule changes or easier schedules or anything like that
will lure more people into flying Pattern. If you just admit that not
everyone needs (or wants) to become a Pattern pilot, you'll be fine. The
object is to find the people with good flying skills and a competitive
spirit and expose them to Pattern.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
4:04 PM