[NSRCA-discussion] Sinking ship Syndrome?Pleasereview'NSRCAMembers'

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Aug 23 11:39:30 AKDT 2007

We did rockets as well. He became interested in WWII airplanes and began building static models. Took him to a club flyin where they had P51 and P47 models flying, he became hooked, and got me back into the hobby as a result. He was 11 at the time, he is 13 now, and has flown in a few IMAC contests.  The bug has bitten him to fly pattern now (I think he realizes the advantages of precision flying) so I just bought him a Venus II from a club member selling out. We hope to make one pattern contest this year.

  One thing I learned, don't push him, that takes the fun out of it.

  Bob R.

Mark Atwood <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com> wrote:
  Yup...did the same.  We also introduced RC cars and off road trucks too (dad needed a new toy or two) which was of course a big hit and introduced proportional control.  My son didnft have a good feel for proportional control until almost 5 yrs old (meaning it was all left or all right and full throttle) but then there was the 4 yr old flying 3D with a heli at the XFC, so who knows.

Ohh...and introducing Model Rockets was huge also...that got him the building bug.  Wefre currently building a Sig Something Extra for him to fly (and let me tell ya, building with all white glue is painfully slow)  But we live in Cleveland...so if you donft like to build, you only have a 4 month hobby.

Last but not least for those of you teach a kid to fly.... FOAMIES.  Canft say it enough. Not only can you relinquish control (no buddy box) without fear, it also teaches them the left stick right out the gate.  Flying in a dome or a gym they figure out in a hurry that full throttle doesnft cut it.

-M