[NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 20:18:21 AKDT 2007

Ron, Thanks for the feedback. See my comments embedded in red

Ron Van Putte wrote:

> I'd like to comment on John's three proposals:  I think they all have
> merit.  In a perfect world I'd support them all.
>
> As a CD, I always look to what a proposal is going to do to my
> workload, so let me look at them as a CD.
>
> #1  The CD would have to recruit several experienced competitors to
> conduct the advising of Sportsman/Intermediate pilots because he would
> be too busy to do it.

I would actually expect an experienced competitor assigned to each of
the lower class entrants. Hopefully all NSRCA members would volunteer
for this duty. The only duty required of the CD is to delegate.

> #2  The CD would either have to enter all the scores on every flight
> of every competitor into a national database, or recruit someone to do
> it.  Some editing of scores would be required.  e.g: The flight score
> of a competitor whose airplane flames out midway through a flight does
> not accurately reflect the quality of his flying.

If we cannot automate the system somewhat through the scoring programs,
I agree there won't be enough participation to make this work. Anyone
still running manual scoring will be a problem. perhaps we could require
a scoring program to be used. I am also hopeful of getting the scoring
programs on board with this in order to get a csv file of the raw
scoring results exported.

> #3  The CD would either have to check all competitors' advancement
> scores to make sure they were in the correct class or recruit someone
> to do it.  After the contest, the CD would have to enter all the
> earned advancement points for all competitors into the national
> database or recruit someone to do it.

It was certainly not my intention to have the CDs  check advancement
scores. I'm not sure where this is coming from but I don't want it
included as a negative to the proposal I put on the table. I recommended
some changes to the advancement criteria but said nothing about
enforcement. I believe the current honor system is good enough.

> My experience with many CDs is that #1 would probably get done by most
> of them.  #2 might get done by about half the CDs, UNLESS it was made
> an AMA requirement and there was a "hammer" attached to "punish" CDs
> who didn't comply.  Would such a requirement cause some to decide that
> being a CD was too much trouble?  Maybe.  #3 would probably have about
> the same success rate as #2.

For #1, perhaps NSRCA members attending could take the lead to link up
mentors and mentees. As you say, the CD has enough to do.
For #2, a semi-automated system of reporting needs to be in place or the
database system will fail. After flyers get used to having the database
available, I expect the policing will come from the membership.
For #3, there is no requirement for the CD to provide enforcement.

> Even worthy proposals have downsides and these are what I see as a CD
> and a realist regarding organizations whose members are volunteers.

Ron, your concerns are valid. We will need to overcome the problems you
forsee and ensure that we do not overload the contest volunteers with
extra reporting. Maybe we could combine the required reporting for the
database with the contest report to the AMA and make it easier for the CD