[NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 19:16:43 AKDT 2007

Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. It really helps to know that you are reading it
and thinking about it. My only intention here is to provide a starting
point for discussion, not provide a finished take-it-or-leave-it product.

I would like to clear up something on the National database. I didn't
intend it as an enforcement tool for advancement. Clearly it could be
used for that but I agree with you that most flyers move up by the rules
or before. I did propose a rule change on advancement as proposal three
but it does not require the database to implement.

But, wouldn't you like to know how many flyers flew Masters this year?
And that of those who actually flew in a contest this year you ranked
much higher than the fourth quartile. Also that the Masters class gained
25 new members over last year? and only lost 5? Particularly for those
in the bottom quarter of their class, encouragement and progress is
sometimes difficult to see. However, when you see that you gained 10
places nationally in masters, you would be getting some positive
feedback even if your placings in local contests didn't change. Of
course, if you drop 10 places, you might have to look more closely at
your equipment and practice routines. In either case, you got some
feedback you didn't have before.
Such a system will give the NSRCA leadership some timely tools to
determine how pattern is doing as a whole( number of contests, total
entrants, breakdown on those numbers by class, growing, shrinking,
percentage of NSRCA members in the overall pattern community, etc).
If we get enough entrants for the NATS again to split the sites, this
system would make seeding a piece of cake.
These are just a few of the reports we could get out of a contest
database of raw scores. I do agree that there is a fair amount of work
to be done on this and I have already signed up to help.

I really appreciate your thoughtful response

John