[NSRCA-discussion] Old Farts club

David Harmon k6xyz at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 18 10:12:57 AKDT 2007

Hi Bill.....
  Yes, she worked at the top of that steep drive.
  I went up there one time on my GL-1000 and almost flopped the thing right at the top. Of course, that was many years later.
  The wife worked at Bonner from 66' until we moved from Culver City to Redondo Beach in 69'. I think Howard retired soon after and closed the business. I sorta remember asking her if she knew Edie and I'm pretty sure she did. Wifey did most of if not all the flow soldering at Bonner through those years....especially the servos.
  Gordon Larson, Howard's electronic engineer restarted business as 'RS Systems' in Santa Ana I think. Bob Novack who was a tech at Micro Avionics bought RS sometime later and went on to become very popular in the race car group.

  I don't actually remember the Downs buying Col. Bob's because by that time we were on the south side of LA and I didnt go uptown much. I did sorta hung at Wilshire Models a bit.
  Good ol' Hans.....he was quite a modeler....and a really nice guy too.
  One time Hans handed me the stick of a Orbit 3 + 1.....now THAT was an experience.
  I gave it back right away!

  The wife died about a year ago and in fact I am in San Diego right now for our sons wedding....today, in fact!!

  Best

  Dave

billglaze <billglaze at bellsouth.net> wrote:
      Dave:
  Did your wife work in Howards's shop on Jefferson Blvd. in L.A.?  Did she work there before/after/during the time that Edie Downs (Ray Downs wife) worked there?  You may remember that Ray and Edie bought Colonel Bob's Hobby Shop on Pico Blvd.across from Sears, about 1968.  It was a real treat to see Edie cover a Smog Hog or Astro Hog wing with one piece of nylon.  The craftsmanship was  immaculate.  I always wished I could get my wife to do my covering jobs; instead they looked as if they had been done by one of my kids.