[NSRCA-discussion] Old Farts club

billglaze billglaze at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 17 11:38:44 AKDT 2007

Yeah, Jon, a good friend of mine, Bill Williams, almost turned into a
perennial winner of "rudder only" class, when he cascaded a throttle on his
Bonner escapement.  He also rigged up a tailwheel brake that worked.  The
airplane was a Mambo.  We always claimed that he had a whole closet full of
them.
His modifications were protested at one of the NAT's, and they made him
de-activate the tailwheel brake, and the throttle.
He won anyway, plus he won the radio at the banquet raffle.  I believe it
was the contest at Glenview.  Throttle/brake or not, he was definitely
superior.  He had the only airplane I had seen at the time, with which he
could do a controllable 3 turn spin.  If it came out slightly off heading,
at least he got some points for it, as opposed to his competition who could
only watch and  wonder............."how does he do it?"