[NSRCA-discussion] Movin' on up !

Stuart Chale schale at optonline.net
Fri Aug 17 05:55:02 AKDT 2007

Tim, I would say that it has merit but probably difficult to do.  We can't
even agree who or where or how the current point system should be
administered.  Apparently most district records are not kept.

After attending my first contest in 13 years or so, I now have to admit that
I fall into the category of many fliers.  I no longer have the time (or
permission) to practice 4 times a week in order to be near the top of my
class.  (I did return to masters where I left off)

On the same note being a pattern flier I still have the competitive feeling
that I want to fly better and compete for top spots as I suspect most do.
Because of that competitive nature which I suspect most of us share I would
love to see the ability to move up as being earned.  I would also be in
favor of rules that provide for "demotion" to the next lower class if a
flyer does not average above a certain score (could be raw) over the course
of a season.  I am sure that would not be acceptable to most and maybe cause
people to drop out, but the idea of earning a spot in which class you fly
might make all classes more competitive.  If pattern was alive and well with
the participation of the 80's I would think we should actually do something
like this.  But with participation in some areas being barely perceptible
and contests being further and further away, I would hate to see additional
rules that cause people to leave.

Is there a major problem with the current system?  I know we are relying on
individuals keeping their own records and the honor system for the most
part, but I think it works most of the time.

Just some random ramblings :-)

Not quite an old fart,

Stuart Chale

  _____