[NSRCA-discussion] More flexibility in class selection? personal view

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 21:26:52 AKDT 2007

I haven't been paying much attention to this whole thread, but I've read
bits and pieces. Here's just my personal experience.

First contest, 1981 Jamesburg, in Novice, dead last

First Sportsman contest was the 85 Nats and I think 36th
Bunch of local contests... top 10, but just barely
86 Nats, Sportsman, in the 30's again
Bunch of local contests... top 10, but just barely
(got a pattern plane)
87-88 locals... top 5 now, even winning a few here and there (some Lockhart
kid was beating me up too)
88 Nats, 5th... WoooHooooooooo time to move up to Advanced (at the end of
the year)

89 Back to the top 5, but now in Advanced
90 locals, top 5, winning here and there
90 Nats, 2nd in Advanced.... then made "The Jump"

FAI from 91 on... and what a brutal time that was. For the next few years I
was top 3 down here locally, not bad, until the big boys showed up, then I
was the end of the "names". But that was my goal for the first season or so.
Then I would pick the "names" to beat and go for it. I studied all the top
guys flying, Chip, Ivan, Dave, Bill, Chris......... I needed to learn what
they were doing that I wasn't. So slowly I worked my Nats placing from 27th
place in 91 to 11th by 94 (excluding the 4th place at my first Masters) then
to consistent 4th and higher by 95 (excluding Masters). So I didn't do it
overnight, but I wanted to be at the top and I kept learning, watching,
applying and practicing when I could. The rest is history...

It all comes down to how bad you want to improve and how much you can
swallow and accept being beat until you get there.

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com