[NSRCA-discussion] Point System - Was " Stirring up the Masters 2009Sequence discussionagain..."

Dennis Bodary d_bodary at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 10:14:37 AKDT 2007

Once again Mark well said.

Mark Atwood <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com> wrote:  Why do we have one? (point system)

Not to play devils advocate but do we really have that many people trying to “cheat” to take home an extra plaque?  Yeah, some people hang around a class a little longer than others, but I don’t ever recall someone staying beyond the point where peer pressure failed, and we had to rely on an un-enforced point system to get the job done.

I mean lets face it...if there’s a guy just tearing up the advanced circuit...winning everything in his path, A) he’s going to get pretty bored with that at some point B) he’s going to get heckled to DEATH at some point from the Master’s guys calling him chicken since he’s clearly afraid to compete against kids his own size :)  and C) and this is a big “C”...  Who cares??  If I’m flying Advanced against him and continually having my A$$ handed to me...then apparently there’s room for my flying to improve.  I can choose to improve it staying in Advanced until either the aforementioned sandbagger moves up and I can claim victory with my inferior flying against now inferior competition, OR I can choose to bypass all together and move to Masters and get a new challenge having never won the pinnacle of the previous class, but feeling confident in my own abilities.

MORE importantly...if I fly for fun?  Which I really think about 50% of the flyers in pattern do, then I can hang at whatever level challenges me, provides me with the best “reward” level for my time and investment, and maximize my “fun”.

I think the “point” system should be little more than a guideline for the avid competitor who’s goal is to move through the classes, gain proficiency, and who’s target is winning in FAI.  It’s a guideline to know when it’s maybe time to move up, to prevent moving too early, and yet stay on a good course for becoming the best.

For the rest, I think it’s a non issue.

I’m an avid golfer...I suck, but I’m avid.  My handicap says I should be playing from the blue tees on most courses...  But on a given day, I’d much rather go out and shoot an 82 from the whites, than post an 86 from the Blues.  Just my preference...it’s more fun.

My .02

-Mark