[NSRCA-discussion] FW: Points

twtaylor twtaylor at ftc-i.net
Tue Aug 14 09:06:14 AKDT 2007

Forwarded.

  _____

From: Mark Atwood [mailto:atwoodm at paragon-inc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:59 PM
To: twtaylor
Subject: Re: Points

Ahhhh...  So you're saying we're organizationally challenged???   :)   And
you wonder why tracking points is an issue?

Part of the problem with the whole process is that there will always be the
person...somewhere, in some district, that is good enough (lets say in
Advanced) to either win, or place consistently against the CURRENT and LOCAL
advanced crowd the he competes with, but probably isn't at the top on a
national scale, and doesn't have the practice time to really ever be
competitive in masters.  Moving up means never winning, or even being in the
hunt for a win.  What fun is that?  Likelyhood is that even a change in the
pattern takes him down a few notches for a while because of limited practice
time and then he creeps back into the winner circle off and on.

Someone like Andrew or Bret...will dust him while they're in Adv, and then
they'll move up and he'll be back on top until the next hot shot blows
through town.  Should he EVER be forced to move up???  I don't think so.
Forcing that person up almost means forcing them to quit.  They won't have
fun...won't feel competitive and won't fly.

For many of us in FAI, prior to having a semi finals at the Nats, this was a
problem.  We know we're not in the hunt to win the nats...or likely to even
make the finals.  So going was "eh...maybe to go see people".  But now with
the Semi's, there's something to shoot for, a goal that is obtainable with
more limited practice.  (BTW, Flying Masters is the other alternative that
many take here...and I completely understand that motivation).

So just like Masters to FAI...not being forced allows people to have fun at
their level of proficiency.  If someone starts to dominate (David Snow are
you reading this??) they either get bored and move, or succumb to constant
badgering (dave) and move :)

-M