[NSRCA-discussion] Masters and your system

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Mon Aug 13 18:12:28 AKDT 2007

Greetings Pattern World,

This topic seems to go around every few years, and  I guess, it always will.

Firstly, make no mistake-I don't think there is a country ( National Body) on the planet that does not struggle with 'it's system' We all have our problems, but some less than others.
We should ALL consider ourselves as part of the global pattern community-and therefore we should all help each other. Lets take a look at what other organisations around the world are doing-good and bad. This way we can make Pattern a better sport for everybody concerned.

I shudder when I see and hear of people/organisations looking and caring only about their own backyard -in this day and age, this is a luxury you can afford only at your own peril.

In Oz, our system is far from perfect and yes we also are faced with many problems, but most times it all works quite smoothly.

As a brief description, we are forced up through the classes...even to FAI. But our promotion system is different. We fly against a National average which is calculated every year. Each class has a promotional percentage-and you need to get three promotions within a twelve month rolling period to be forced to move up.

Not perfect but it works. At least when I get a promotion, its against a 'real number', not because I won against 6 others whose flying standard may or may not have been questionable. Infact I could come last....but still have the numbers.

In your system, I do however like the fact that its voluntary. I remember moving through the classes and perhaps wondering if I was ready-it's a lot of pressure and I can see how you can loose people to other interests.

We are doing our sequences for 09 right now and it all looks good to me. I just hope that one day Oz will produce a World Champion, cause it sure ain't going to be me!!

Tom