[NSRCA-discussion] What is a typical lifespan for OS#FinOS160FXapplicat...

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 08:33:34 AKDT 2007

I am late to this discussion having just returned from the High Desert
Classic in the central Oregon high desert at Redmond. What fuel are you
using? Lubricants and additives aren't what they once were and some fuels
seam to run lean / hot causing premature plug failure. If on close
inspection of the element it appears frosty rather than shinny it's ability
to ignite the fuel is being compromised. The first symptoms of this that I
have noticed is a tendency to run rich requiring leaning of the mixture
which only speeds up the complete failure. Failure of internal components,
which shed microscopic metal-based particles, will also contaminate the
element causing premature failure. Running lean is an absolute No-No in the
larger OS engines and the OS#8 seams to work OK. As for how long dose a plug
last. I have had applications where the plug lasted two years and others
where I was testing fuels and trying to optimize the prop / needle settings
where I have damaged a plug in two flights. In the ballistic pattern days it
was not uncommon to change plugs several times during a contest and an
excessively really lean run would make the element go away completely in mid
flight.
Glow plug life is a user thing!
Jim Hiller