[NSRCA-discussion] AR80

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Aug 9 10:00:13 AKDT 2007

Ok here's the deal.

I called Merle and told him what I wanted. I wanted a super smooth mount so
these beastie DZs wouldn't beat up my wood planes.

He told me he had some prototype stuff he'd been working on over the years.
He has an AR 70, 80 and 90 I think. The AR stands for standard mount
(requires a nose ring) and the "80" stands for the percentage in current
drain reduction (or vibration reduction).

Well I won't tell you I set up scientific double blind studies or
anything...but I did decide to do some testing. Here's what I found.

It is definitely smoother than the ARA, especially with the venturi. Coupled
with the soft mounted hatori muffler, this system is almost too quiet. As
in, you can't hear it in the air if anything else is running. The vibration
is SIGNIFICANTLY dampened. Even at idle, my old OS 140s shook more.

They are about an ounce heavier than the ARA. And the engine does move
around a bit at idle. If you don't use the venturi, it will hammer a little
and move a good bit, but no more than with the other popular Hyde mounts.
It's definitely softer though.

I love it personally, and that's THE mount for the Black Magics. just be
warned of 2 things: if it backfires, it WILL hit something. (like a chin
cowl). And make sure your header is TIGHT. I did throw a header in the
beginning until I learned how tight was enough. Since then, with all of them
flying, we haven't thrown a header that I'm aware of.

Central does not carry this mount. you have to call or email merle and ask
him for the AR80 mount that I'm using in my Black Magics, and he;'ll know
what you're talking about. if you feel up to it, try it. You'll either love
it or hate it.

-Mike

PS The ARA will work on the VF3, but you have to use a 1/4" spacer behind
the mount. The plane is designed for 6 3/8" between the thrust washer and
the firewall.