[NSRCA-discussion] Rule 8.1.1

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 06:28:55 AKDT 2007

Having called most of the flights for our example in question, here's my
take.

He lost the handle almost every flight. He had a blast and flew relatively
fantastic, but got numerous zeroes. I talked him through it and tried my
best to keep him calm and focused, but it was obvious he was just not an
intermediate pilot yet.  A lot of thing that are supposed to be learned in
sportsman simply weren't there. Oh he had some fantastic manuevers, but he
had a lot of zeroes too, and box management in the wind was.....a struggle
to say the least.

With the question being "should he have to move up after he gets home", well
the rules say no. This does open an interesting can of worms. I know we have
a couple of sportsman pilots here in this district right now that ARE ready
for intermediate.....I doubt they'd trophy at the nats, but they could
handle it fairly well....and if they went to the nats, came back and flew
out sportsman, that could get interesting.

However with that being said, these guys are the type that are more likely
to stay with pattern in the long run, so it makes you wonder.

-Mike