[NSRCA-discussion] E-power

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Apr 18 14:31:22 AKDT 2007

A little more complicated, but for one of the 3S type planes that I fly, I have an eLogger from Eagle Tree, with the optional LCD display. I see the voltage when I plug up, check the current/watts when I run the motor up, and see the max current, min voltage and consumed power (mah) when I land. If I had an epower pattern plane, I would install one without thinking twice about it. Besides the visual parameter display, it can also log info for the whole flight so you can see the current that each maneuver requires.

  The 3914 is a bargraph display driver. It can be wired as an expanded scale meter which would work well for what we are doing. However, if a simple "green light" type of voltage indicator was all I needed, I would probably just use a simple op-amp or comparator set to just under the fully charged battery voltage.

  Bob R.

Jay Marshall <lightfoot at sc.rr.com> wrote:
                I’m sure most of us are familiar with the VoltWatch battery monitor. It uses a simple LM3914 integrated circuit from National Semiconductor. A nice visual indicator just before takeoff. Seems to me that it could be easily modified, or even re-designed, for the higher voltage packs the E-power guys are using. Any of you EEs want to make a few bucks?