[NSRCA-discussion] E-power

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Tue Apr 17 21:09:22 AKDT 2007

For saving weight an often overlooked option is the use of Econokote.  Sure,
you have less color selection and the covering is weaker, (and more subject
to wrinkling due to heat in the car or just sitting on the flight line..)
but it can save a significant amount of weight vc when your sheeted foam
core is covered with MonoKote...

Stripping the wings and tailplanes of covering to save weight is a bit
extreme, but its an option.  Keep the plane in the shade on the flight line
if you use Econokote and plan on dealing with wrinkles.  If you find the
EXACT right temperature for shrinking the wrinkle issue isn't as bad.. but
its VERY close to the melting point of the covering. (Yelloow is a
temperature indicator color.  It turns orange just before it melts.)