[NSRCA-discussion] Proper Stall turns?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Apr 12 04:44:35 AKDT 2007

Tim,

  What I was told years ago was that they would rather take a slight downgrade than to risk a zero due to a flopped stall turn. This is particularly true when the wind is blowing against the top or bottom of the plane.  The higher classes have stall turns as part of a more complex (higher K-factor) maneuvers.

  This is one of the maneuvers that is easier to judge at the end of the box. If the stall turn is centered, you can't easily judge the spread between the up and down lines. JMHO.

  Bob R.

twtaylor <twtaylor at ftc-i.net> wrote:
                I watched a couple of Videos of Naruke and CPLR and noticed they seem to almost “fly over” the stall turn. I thought to get max points the airplane must stop and pivot right around the yaw axis and come straight back down. The rules state 2 wing spans. Is it really a stall turn if the airplane still has forward speed and the airplane is yawed into the stall turn (Not wind corrected) and continues up and then turns?

  Tim