[NSRCA-discussion] Header

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Apr 6 17:45:35 AKDT 2007

MessageGerald,

I clean everything up so its dry....put (2) new copper washers on the bushing nut. Slide it into the header. Now put one NEW copper washer on the bushing nut and tighten slowly into the engine. with it still loose on the head attach any brace you have....make sure the pipe is 100% mounted and ready to fly. Once all this is in place snug up the bushing nut.

Once it is up very snug, I have used a socket wrench with 3/8" socket. The one I use is  about a 6-8" version and I tighten it pretty tight. I would not get Midevil on it but I tighten it pretty good.

Next is if you are having trouble run the engine...Get it all good and hot. Then remove the cover plate and tighten it again it might do 1/8th of a turn to tighten it again....Replace the cover plate and its done.

If you fly it with it loose it will damage the mate surface and this will make it come off easier the next time...through. I will check it every flight to look for leakage until I get about 3-5 flights on it...If its leaking at all you are not tight....if the header is damaged when it mates to the head it will leak.

Troy Newman