[NSRCA-discussion] Judging Landings

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 05:50:22 AKDT 2007

I am directing this primarily to Don Ramsey, but I thought this topic
was worth some discussion since we are judging landings again.

At the Ocala contest, we had some farily stady wind, with occasional
and unpredictable very strong gusts.  I was on final approach, about 2
or 3 feet above the ground, steady descent, and it looked like I was
going to land right on or very near the center line.  At that point, a
very strong gust, almost like a thermal, lifted my airplane straight up
like an elevator, about 10-12 feet in the air.  The attiitude of the
airplane didn't change, and the wings remained level.  The gust
subsided, and I ended up landing about 50 feet or so further down the
runway.  I know how I was judged on that landing; that is not the
issue.  The question is how should circumstances like that be judged,
when the pilot has essentially no control over the situation?  I need
to know for my own judging, because I want to be correct.  This was a
point of some discussion (not with the judges) after my round.  There
was no real consensus of what to do.

The rules say that wing dips are not downgradable unless they are not
immediately corrected.  Slipping is also allowed.  In other manuevers,
drift is allowed in near stalled or stalled conditions, such as spins.
Landings are near stalled conditions, unless you are driving the plane
into the ground.  I don't see the circumstances I am relating
discussed.  I'd liked to get us all on the same page.

Thanks to Don in advance, if he can shed some light on this.

Jon Lowe