[NSRCA-discussion] One day contests

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Fri Sep 29 04:02:31 AKDT 2006

The obvious answer is to only attend one day of a two day event. At the end of the first day, you pretty much know how your going to stack up against the competition. Which is the main reason I fly. For family reasons, I only attend on saturday.

From: Chris Moon <cjm767driver at hotmail.com>
One day contests really require a large number of potential flyers within a reasonably short driving distance.  I think that they were more popular years ago when there were more people in pattern.  In the 80's on the East coast there were lots of flyers and several one day contests.  Today, we have people driving 400 -500 miles to a 2 day contest and that would not be good for a one day event.  However if you had enough local people to make up for the loss of the long distance drivers maybe it would work.  I just don't know of too many areas that have enough people local to make up an event and not have to rely on long distance drivers to guarantee a good contest with lots of competition.
I would like some one day contests too, but not if I am only flying against 1 or 2 other guys.

Chris

Kurt Bozarth wrote:
I had this exact conversation today at my local field.  Two-day contests
seem to appeal to the die hard who don't mind traveling.  One-day contests
appeal to the local guys who are "on the fence" or have other time demands
on the weekends (like me).  I would love a one day event with 5 rounds.

Kurt Bozarth