[NSRCA-discussion] OK it's time to stir things up. Where's the beef?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Sep 28 11:20:40 AKDT 2006

Chris,

  That pretty much sums up my opinion as well. If someone does well enough at flying pattern to get sponsership, then they start having "distractions" by having to fly at a lot of non-pattern events. Local pattern events suffer, and so does the pattern skills of the pilot, IMHO.

    >>>As far as stickers, that would eliminate my only means of covering up boo-boos and hangar rash.<<<

  LOL.

  Bob R.

Chris Moon <cjm767driver at hotmail.com> wrote:
  I think Mike's point is that many of the top guys are flying pattern just enough to make the team here in the US - not up to their potential.  That puts them on the team and then they fly against CPLR and Suzuki, Onda etc and don't do so well because most of the year they have been at the high profile torque roll - hover- bitchin' cool fests.  Can't blame them since that's where the $$ is and probably where the sponsors want them.  They are not REQUIRED to fly pattern often and well enough to beat CPLR.  The talent is there, but not the requirement to qualify by actually flying pattern.   It used to be a big deal just to qualify for the old Masters, now just show up and pay and fly.  I don't fly FAI, but I also see some level of resentment of the guys who just practice some and show up and do nothing else to promote the sport by going to smaller events.  Some jealousy, maybe; but who are the ones who are really out there week after week trying to support the sport and
 encourage the newer flyers so there is a tomorrow for pattern?  Mike brings up a good point.  Are we better off the current way or the old way?  Should supporting the sport be a requirement as before, or do we accept the NATS (Team trial NATS) winners who fly pattern only at the NATS?
As far as stickers, that would eliminate my only means of covering up boo-boos and hangar rash.

Chris