[NSRCA-discussion] cost of electric - now engine choice

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 20 18:53:30 AKDT 2006

That has been there since long ago.  The question is:  What is the weight of the F3A version?  Remember that you will need a big pipe to get the noise down.  If you decide to use this engine do not hard mount the engine.  We did that in the Abbra and almost lost it due to aileron flutter.  Merle Hyde custom made the soft mount for that engine.  If you are interested I have pictures.

VB

From: brian young <brian_w_young at yahoo.com>

ZDZ was advertising an F3A version...ie lightened version of the ZDZ 40.

http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/ZDZ/zdz40f3a.html

Might make it easier..

Brian

vicenterc at comcast.net wrote:
Kelly,

I have the opportunity to assemble the Abbra with all versions.  In the gas version we use the ZDZ 40.  The gas version was about 5-8 oz over 11 lbs.  It is possible to get it below 11 lbs but you will have hard time to keep it there as the plane gets old.  The glow version was 9 lbs 14 oz using OS 160 FX with Perry Pump.  I flew this plane for more than 500 flights.  The electric version is around 10 lbs 5 oz.  The Abbra is very light for the size.  Based on my experience, I believe that you will have very hard time to keep the Brio using gas engine below 11 lbs.  We use cross grain balsa laminated with carbon and it works well for all cases.

I assume that you will use the petrol ES pipe if you use gas engine.  I also believe that the gas engine without the pipe will be very marginal in power for Masters.  The Abbra was design to fit the ZDZ 40.  You will need to check really well if the Brio has enough space to fit the ZDZ 40 and the big petrol pipe.

Good luck,

Vicente Bortone

From: Kelly Regan <kelly.regan2 at verizon.net>