[NSRCA-discussion] gluing foam to fiberglass

Rex LESHER trexlesh at msn.com
Wed Sep 20 13:31:53 AKDT 2006

Ya, any of the Poly glues are the way to go!  It's probably also the lightest glue you can use, given that you use so little per application, do to the foaming action.   I've pretty much been using it exclusively on the last few planes.  It'll stick to anything.   A couple years back, we took two pieces of aluminum about 2X4X1/4 inches and put drop of Probond glue about the size of a quarter on in. Clamped it together for a day to let it cure.  We put it in a jar of 30% fuel for about 4 days...  took it out and tried to get it apart.  We did it, but had to use visegrips and worked it for an hour before it came loose.  That was good enough for me.....
I've also used "Automotive Goop".  Only downside is the weight.  You have to be careful how much you use.  One thing that's neat about it is that it makes a perfect, flexible bond that'll stick to pretty much anything.  Makes a really cool way to attach a firewall. Just leave about 1/8 inch gap all the way around and just use the goop as a fillet bond on both sides.  Rubber mounts it, but doesn't move around much.  It kills virtually all the vibration transfer....  I wouldn't recommend it unless you are using a nose ring.  I know of a few planes that have the firewalls mounted this way and they are still perfect after a bunch of years behind 140 L's....

Rex