[NSRCA-discussion] cost of electric - it's not all about price...

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 19 05:01:11 AKDT 2006

Keith,

Yes, the initial cost of electric is high, especially for someone that already has all the glow stuff, but the cost is coming down, and given the capital to get all the electric stuff up front, the maintenance cost (time and money) is much lower.

Airtime - 15-18 minutes of airtime is quite a bit (IMO), and more shorter flights (with some recuperation time in between) might be more productive.  Most of us have a point of diminishing return when it comes to how long we can concentrate.  Certainly this will vary quite a bit between individuals, and depending on what the goal of a practice session is.  Another consideration, if enough fuel is onboard for an 18 minute flight, the plane is carrying 2x the fuel load needed to get through a competition sequence - and that added weight can effect/compromise the performance or value of the practice beyond the first 9 minutes.

Really just a matter of setting priorities, and then picking the route that matches the best.  For me, I find that flying about 10-12 minutes every 20 minutes is about the right pace for effective practice - and I can do that glow or electric (4 sets of lipos and field charging gear if I do more than 4 flights).  Difference is that I've spent minimal time maintaining the electric setup at the field or at home (~250 outrunner flights now with not much more than a loose wheelpant).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

From: "Keith Black" <tkeithb at comcast.net>