[NSRCA-discussion] cost of electric - it's not all aboutprice...

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Tue Sep 19 04:35:30 AKDT 2006

HI Keith,

Good points below.  Going electric alone is the not prescription for higher
scores.  In no order of priority, this is what is needed to continue to
improve:
1.  Reliable setup with good power for your sequence
2.  Coaching (experienced help with the maneuvers and plane trimming)
3.  Well trimmed plane with minimal mixing required (low pilot workload
plane)
4.  LOTS of conveinient flight time (find a way to fly somewhere between
home and work if possible).  1 to 3 flights twice a week is far better than
5 flights on one day for skill retention.

I personally see the decision to use electric or glow more as a R/C
lifestyle decision, and not a performance decision.  If you are happy to
tote the charging infrastructure around, OK with the time required to
monitor batteries when you are charging, OK with the # of batteries you need
to fit your practice/improvement goals, OK with the cost, then it run with
it.

Performance wise, for classes Sportsman - Masters, nearly any of the popular
setup combinations works just fine.  For FAI, you will need to be prepared
for more equipment testing and the possibility of purchasing equipment, not
liking the performance, and then going for another ESC, Motor, or battery
manufacture, especially if you are attempting to make a long lasting setup
combination, not running on the edge of equipment failure on a
windy/hot/humid day.  This is especially true if you stray away from a known
equipment combination.  Obviously, the performance is there but just depends
on how you tap into it.

We are all familiar with habitual glow issues.  Is a spare glow engine nice
to have on hand?  Sure, but this is proving just as true with the main
variety of electric equipment too (motor/ESC/Battery).  I decided to stop
flying electric pattern or 2-cycles in FAI after the 2006 Nats.  What I have
seen after switching to the YS 160 is that the motor is easy to run (using
the soft-start technique as to avoid the "thump" on start), very CONSISTENT
power, and a few props I really like (16.5x13W, 17x12, 18.1x10.1).

Again, this is just personal opinion, but the Glow way of flying is much
more to my personal liking, and I'm much more prepared to deal with the full
realm of glow issues, versus electric.  With any setup, you need to be
prepared to deal with the sound meter.  Each system has prop options to get
performance if you are prepared and do some testing ahead of time.

Thanks,
Jim W.
YS Performance (post 2006 Nats)

PS - Love the smoke!  After years of making fun of it and seeing it only as
a scoring obstacle - I actually now think if you are flying well (and this
is the goal), it helps you.  Also, when other planes are in the air and you
want to know if your motor is running after a spin, you only need to click
the throttle and you can see smoke.  Again - just my opinion.  Jim