[NSRCA-discussion] North Dallas Contest

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 18:44:18 AKDT 2006

In case you've never been here, the NDallas eagle field is not really near
anything, so everyone will be staying 25-40 minutes away either in the
McKinney, Plano area or Denton. I live in Plano and I'm 35 minutes away.
Denton is an old town, has some good bars and can be a good spot for some
fun live music because of the NTexas U there and its famous music school.
Gray graduated from there.  There's a motel - cheap cheap maybe too cheap -
called the Holiday Lodge.  Brave Combo wrote a song about it and the Mexican
restaurant across the street - Mazatlan's.  The center of Denton, where the
lodge is is about 10miles from the field going west. There are upscale and
lowscale motels.

Going east you hit McKinney about 20mi. It's the county seat and has old and
new lodging so you can get a deal.  Frisco is where people have
traditionally stayed, but that's because the old field was in Frisco and
because all the local pattern fliers live in that area.  Lots of lodging
there but everything is new so you have to look to find a cheap price.
Frisco is 30 min from the field.

The last few years we've gathered at the Hooters in Frisco on Preston Road,
which is across the parking lot from the Holiday Inn Express and very near a
bunch of mall sprawl restaurants.  This is your mamma's hooters (well, maybe
that came out wrong!).  What I mean is in Frisco you can take your kids
there.

--Lance