[NSRCA-discussion] cost of electric

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Sun Sep 17 17:13:25 AKDT 2006

The costs they listed are for a plane competitive at Masters or above.
Sportsman simply doesn't require the same performance from the model.  (each
successive level demands more from the plane and pilot)

Sportsman (flying the schedule used the past couple of years) level needs
appx 100 watts/ lb and you can get a decent e-power plane set up for close
to half the cost. (probably less, as prices are comming down)

It depends on the performance level you want or need.  I believe the setup
Nat recommends approaches 200 or 250 watts/lb in an 11 lb plane...
Desireable for the HUGE verticals with rolls on up lines at Masters and FAI
level.

BEST is to charge the LiPos at no faster than 1C rate... so it takes 1 hr
for a fully depleted pack.

don't forget to get a cell ballancer, and a Wattmeter.  Adds appx $75 to the
bill. ($25 for Astro Blinkey... and $50 for the wattmeter).. but the
ballancer increases the life of the LiPos, (and makes charging safer) and
the wattmeter allows you to test the power draw with assorted props, to
ensure you aren't overloading something.