[NSRCA-discussion] Curmudgeon's Rant

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Sep 17 06:29:05 AKDT 2006

Pardon the rant of a curmudgeon of the subject of power supplies for
electrics.  As the son of a mother who was born in Scotland, I am
always looking for value.  I often see products being bought and used
because a person or group with "credentials" uses them.  As a group,
we are a bunch of lemmings and whatever the anointed individual or
group uses, we buy and use.  Logic regarding value doesn't seem to
enter the discussion.  For example, a current "must have" for the
electric-powered Pattern airplane guys is an Iota power supply.  Will
someone please tell me what this very fine power supply will do that
a switching computer power supply from Geeks.com, with a 12 volt, 25
amp output and costing less than $20, won't do?

I could go on regarding motors, ESCs, chargers and batteries, but
I'll save those for other rants.

Ron Van Putte