[NSRCA-discussion] RX choices

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Sep 15 10:53:10 AKDT 2006

Well put, Jim.
I will do a short write-up soon on DSS.
Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.
South Plainfield, N.J. 07080
(908) 222-7817 phone
(908) 222-2392 fax
d.pappas at kodeos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of J.Oddino
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 1:58 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] RX choices

John;

A servo cannot be fast enough by definition.  Ideally it would follow the
transmitter stick position with no delay (and no overshoot).  Servos are
sometimes tested by inserting a sine wave signal at the input and measuring
the amplitude and phase delay at the output.  At very low frequency the
output will follow the input.  As the frequency of the input is increased
the out put never gets to the maximum displacement and lags the input.  You
can see this if you move your stick from side to side slowly and then as
fast as you can go.  So bottom line, fast is good.

Why expo you ask?  Expo is a means of getting better resolution of the
"Man-Machine" system.  Assuming a degree of stick gives a degree of servo
travel, one would have a hard time holding 0.1 degree.  With expo changing
the relationship to a larger stick movement to get a given servo movement it
is easier for the pilot to hold small angles of deflection.  That is he can
resolve more precise servo/control surface position.

Jim O