[NSRCA-discussion] RX choices

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 06:22:38 AKDT 2006

Although I fly Futaba I have a lot of respect for the JR receiver
technology. It is the only thing new in receiver design other than the
Futaba synthesized receiver since the early 1950's. The technology made the
change to solid state but that was not taking advantage of any new design.

I can assure you that Ham radio receivers have made steady progress during
that time even as prices came down.

The bigger problem is that we have no idea about the real specs on these
receivers. The maintenance information is held very close and parts even
closer. We have no idea how long it takes to cycle in and out of fail safe
let alone any control over it. In fact we have no real indicator of failure
thresholds. George Steiner has done a lot of work in this area such as his
"missing frames" detector but his work has been hampered by lack of
published specs by the manufactures with PCM.

I had hopes of improvements when HiTec swallowed Multiplex but it seems to
me they have only used the acquisition to leverage their efforts to become
another Futaba/JR/Airtronix.

We have not been demanding customers and we have put way too much faith in
letting the suppliers make decisions for us!
John Ferrell    W8CCW
"My Competition is not my enemy"
http://DixieNC.US