[NSRCA-discussion] RX choices

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Thu Sep 14 18:31:50 AKDT 2006

PCM is FM too... (well. there were a few AM PCM radios...)

I don't really think there's any increase in range or  ability to avoid
getting interference with PPM or PCM.... its more a matter of what the RX
does when the radio signal gets "scrambled"

Both use the same FM radio carrier wave.  Same power output... So the same
interference source could scramble either.

PPM will respond to the "percieved" command.
PCM, being digital encoded, would immediately detect a "bad frame" and can
reject it, holding the last good frame. (hinding the interferance from
you...)

A short blip of interference will be seen with the PPM as the aircraft
jumps.
A short blip of interference will likely be hidden from the pilot and the
judges with PCM.

PPM, by not hiding the short blips of interference will sometimes serve as a
warning that you need to get the plane down.  PPM your first indication may
be a full lockout.

Advantages and disadvantages both ways...