[NSRCA-discussion] Stolen RC Plane

Del K. Rykert drykert2 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 11:42:35 AKDT 2006

I have also noticed a lack of law enforcement willingness to assist victims of what some perceive as a minor crime. Reminds me of when I started to learn to fly R/C in Long Beach, CA  area.  I flew at the local B.I.R.D.S. club.
    Many experienced modelers were starting to crash regularly. It appeared most of the crashes were occurring when flying in a given area. Wasn't long before a common thread was observed. A white convertible was detected being parked on a side road while having a view of the models flying in that area. Local law enforcement was called and said they had no proof the youngster was doing it. The modified ham radio gear, rf generator and long loaded whip antenna were very suspicious but all circumstantial. The officers did advise the next time it happened they would not rush right out to the call in case this individual should fall down getting out of his car.
    Needless to say this dirtbag was caught red handed by some people The radio gear was rendered useless as well as he received an attitude adjustment.
    Later that evening a couple of officers visited the field and casually mentioned they didn't know if it mattered to any of you guys, but they had a call and found this guy on a side road who said he had an accident and all his radio gear was a mess.. He had no idea how it happened.  A wink was given by one officer I was told before they left.
    Not that I am condoning this form of justice but sometimes it seems to be the only thing that truly rehabilitates.
    I do believe in letting the criminals break all the way into my home so I can give them a permanent adjustment.

                 Del
          nsrca - 473