[NSRCA-discussion] RX choices

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 09:23:56 AKDT 2006

PCM is an FM receiver. The difference is how the
signal is encoded/decoded, not the RF link. Both are
equally susceptable to interfence, but the PCM may
briefly mask an interference problem by going into
hold.

My non-PCM FM setup is working fine. I use Hitec
receivers, I have not had an issue with glitching.

--- Wayne <Whinkle1024 at msn.com> wrote:

> I have a question guys.
>
> I see in lots of posts guys using FM (PPM) RX's.
> Why is this?
>
> In today's market there are so many choices of good
> PCM RX's I can't
> understand why someone would actually choose to run
> FM. Back in the days
> when I started RC there was no PCM and we had the
> choice of AM or FM. I was
> taught that my model was too important to me not to
> run the best link
> possible, at the time FM was it.
>
> When PCM came in the price was much higher and I can
> see a reason to not use
> it. Today however both Futaba and JR have PCM RX's
> that are good for under
> $99, JR now even has one that PLL Synth. So why use
> FM?
>
> It is my understanding with today's PCM that noise
> rejection is so much
> better with PCM that it seems along with its F/S
> properties both model and
> people are better protected. I can see the reasoning
> among average modeler
> its price why else do MPI, FMA and so on make such a
> profit on off brand
> leads and servos that are in my opinion very sub
> par. I felt that in the
> pattern community with available models shrinking,
> and the cost of models
> hitting larger prices that guys would trust their
> baby to better equipment.
> I mean a basic pattern model that is on the cheap is
> going to be $1000 to
> $1500 all up. The difference in a 127 Futaba RX and
> say a Futaba 138DP PCM
> or JR 790 PCM version is about $40
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Wayne