[NSRCA-discussion] Trimming question.

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 06:07:39 AKDT 2006

Yes.

Depends on the design.

IMHO, the "best" designs and "best" setups are more tolerant (relatively) of changes in weather and airspeed.  Endless combinations and compromises as many things in pattern.

Regards,

Dave

From: colin chariandy <cchariandy at yahoo.ca>

I tend to agree. So what's the best way to neutralize that effect? Is there a way to set-up the airplane so that the trim changes as the airspeed/air density changes will be minimized?

I get the feeling that there are set-ups that are conditions specific and those that are more versatile.

Which are the key variables for lift/pitch and airspeed....cg, wing incidence, tail incidence, engine thrust line, aileron droop etc.?

I'm going to play with cg and aileron droop this weekend. I assume it will be a bit cold...it is Canada after all.

Colin.

Amar Shan <shan at telus.net> wrote:
Tom had exactly the right idea when he thought it was an "air density" thing.

To begin with, the air density *does* change substantially in going from 15C to 30C.   It's the equivalent of moving from sea level to 1700 feet altitude!

The second thing to realize is that the plane's air speed (indicated air speed to the full scale pilots out there) changes with changing air density.  In other words, if the plane appears to be moving at the same speed on a 15C day as a 30C day FROM THE GROUND, the airflow over the wings is actually much greater on the cooler (15C) day.

Now, when you trim a plane for flight, you trim for its indicated air speed (ie, the amount of airflow over its wings).  If you are flying slower, you need a greater AOA, of course.  When you take a plane trimmed for 30C weather, and fly it on a 15C day, the airflow over the wings is much greater - hence, you need much less AOA, and you have to trim with more down elevator.

Cheers,

Amar