[NSRCA-discussion] Another sad day in the pattern community

Lamar Blair LamarBlair at Charter.net
Mon Sep 11 08:39:11 AKDT 2006

Troy Newman wanted me to pass this along to everyone our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Betty was a great person to know,

Lamar Blair
NSRCA President
256-353-8154
lamarblair at charter.net

Lamar,

could please post this on the Discussion list for me.

I just received word from Suzi Frohreich (Stream) that her mom passed away on Friday evening 9-8-06. Betty's passing was not sudden. She had been ill for the last year or so and in the last couple weeks was placed in the care of Hospice. Suzi got to spend some time with her last weekend at home her home in Long Beach. So she was with Family and those she loved. Jenny and I since moving to AZ have become very close to both Suzi and Greg in some hard times.

Many in the NSRCA and in the pattern community will miss Betty. A little bio of stuff that I know. Betty was the NATS RC category director for many many years starting back in the mid 70's and running up until the late 80's and early 90's. Those of you who have been to the NATS know the job Al Williamson currently has. Well that was Betty's job for all those years. This was when the NATS was all at one time. The RC Category director is in charge of all the RC stuff, Pylon, Pattern, Scale, Heli's, and so on. In today's environment I think there are a couple of these directors but my understanding was at the time Betty was running the show it was a single person job. In that time her and daughter Suzi ran scoring for Team trials, TOC's and possibly even the Worlds in 89'. They were deeply involved with the success of pattern and pylon both on a National level as well as in the Southern California, AZ, NV area. Greg Frohreich and Suzi also ran several Pattern NATS as event director at the time Betty was the R/C Category director. I believe a total of 3 or 4 Pattern NATS were run by the family. Betty and Suzi teamed up to run the NSRCA as we all know the Secretary and Treasurer run the show and do the bulk of the work. Most of us only remember Maureen Dunphy in this position and the hours and hours she put into the job, but in the mid 70's till the early 90's Betty and Suzi had this job, with an occasional VP position in there with Greg as well.
We in the pattern community have so many folks that give their time and talents so that we can play with our toy airplanes. Betty was one of these people that gave and gave and gave. This was a super lady and those of us who knew her will surely morn her loss. I'm sure we all wish her God's Speed and Blessing.

For anyone wanting to send Suzi a note please send it to me and I will forward it to her. I'm not on the Discussion list but you can reach me at:

troy_newman at msn.com

Thanks,

Troy Newman