[NSRCA-discussion] Work table

Adrien L Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Mon Sep 4 15:28:46 AKDT 2006

John: 22 years ago I built my current benches. The legs are simply 1x2
lumber. The corners are doubled, at 90 degrees to each other. On a recent
bench I used 1x2 and attached it to 1x3 so that it looks the same from
both sides.
For the tops I started out with a hollow core door, 32 x what ever a door
height is. For many years I built with pins into Homosote that was glued
to the door. About 15 years ago I switched to building with magnets and
now have a steel plate over the Homosote o one of the benches. On the
other, I have an 16" x 70" piece of poured concrete.I picked this up,
with some help, from a local stone quarry shop. What I bought is
commercially used for stairs in public buildings, such as the court house
steps. It is about 3" thick. I think the price was about $60. It is great
for foam cutting and laminating. ABSOLUTELY FLAT AND STRAIGHT. I have
another piece that is 18" x 48", so you should be able to find about any
size you want. If you want pictures, drop me a note and I'll send out an
attachment.
I have built drawers into all of the benches too. Very easy and cheap to
do.

Terry T.