[NSRCA-discussion] Aero design question

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Sat Sep 2 10:55:14 AKDT 2006

Hi Gang,
The excellent axial rolling charecteristic of some designs is due to a lot more than where the inboard end of the ailerons end. Nonetheless, all of my designs used ailerons that ended far from the fuse! The only downside is that having a bit of aileron in front of the stab offers a useful trimming tool: trailing the ailerons up or down will change the effective stab incidence, and this was a powerful adjustment tool back when we didn't have plug-in adjustable "everything".

You note Akiba's well trimmed airplanes. There is some smart design going on there!

later,
           Dean