[NSRCA-discussion] Aero design question

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Sep 2 07:17:32 AKDT 2006

There are people that will tell you that the ailerons should always be the same percentage of wing chord from root to tip. I'm not one of those people.

  I have always had the opinion that the inboard portion of the ailerons don't do much for us, as far as precision aerobatics is concerned. (For 3D hovering, etc, they obviously do help since they are in the prop blast). The most effective portion of the aileron is out near the tip.

  What you are suggesting might be worth a try.

  Bob R.

Peter Pennisi <pentagon.systems at bigpond.com> wrote:

  My current model has ailerons which extend a fair way towards the fuselage (Comp-ARF IMPACT) What effect does the turbulence coming off the aileron have on the tail plane. I am currently building another IMPACT (IMHO flies extremely well) which I am considering to reduce their size by cutting and fixing the inboard part to the wing in an attempt to clean up the airflow over the tail plane during rolling maneuvers .  The model does roll well but it could be better.

  Am I barking up the wrong tree – any thoughts!

  Peter