[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA-discussion Digest, Vol 11, Issue 244

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Mon Oct 30 13:27:43 AKST 2006

Thanks, Dave.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of
DaveL322 at comcast.net
  Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 4:16 PM
  To: NSRCA Mailing List
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA-discussion Digest, Vol 11, Issue 244

  Richard / Orland,

  I've posted a fair bit of stuff on RCU in various threads (I'd link them,
but I'm not the most organized with RCU stuff).  The A60-20S is the highest
KV (245) of the A60-S series and cranks the highest RPM.  My objective was
an electric that did not sacrifice airspeed, so I went with the higher KV
and smaller diameter higher pitch props.

  Hacker A60-20S
  Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV (software version 1.53, high advance)
  Thunder Power 10s4p 5300s
  APC 18x10PN repitched to 12
  ~75 amps (lipos at 100F)
  ~7800 RPM (lipos at 100F)
  Plane is a Prestige, with very good cooling ductwork, and hit the scales
at the NATs at 10 lbs even.

  Flying PO7 at 165-170 meters with large maneuvers is about 9 minutes
takeoff roll to touchdown.  3800 mah in calm/light winds, maybe as much as
4300 in heavy wind.  On 80F day, at the end of a flight, I typically see
~90F on ESC, ~130F on motor, and around 120-125F on lipos.

  My oldest A60 has 214 flights to date.  Oldest 5300 has 138 cycles and
might be down a couple percent compared to a 40 cycle 5300.  Knock on wood,
no maintenance needed yet on any of the electric components, and no servo
wear yet either.

  My setup in the prelims at the NATs was similar - but less power - APC
18x11 at about 7700 RPM, 68 amps, ~3500 mah for PO7, and lipos were about
110-115F (and ambient was 85-90F).

  The new TP Extremes will boost the power a bit more - I have a few flights
on the 3850s (same power as 5300s and 5.5 oz lighter) and the 4600s (+10%
amps and maybe +200 RPM).  If you want a slower flight style, a 19x10E does
that, but is a few amps more (maybe 80 amps).

  I have talked quite a bit with Sean Plummer at Hacker USA about using the
motor for pattern, and he is aware of the higher amps needed for pattern
compared to the spec for the motor.  I'm not sure why the motor is spec'd so
low, but with proper cooling in a pattern plane, temps are not an issue at
75 amps.  I have run the motor up to 95 amps and it didn't get much warmer,
but I was being fairly careful with the throttle.

  Hope this helps!

  Dave Lockhart

    From: "Richard Strickland" <richard.s at allied-callaway.com>

    How's it working and what props? Amp draw, batt life--all that neat
stuff?!
    RS