[NSRCA-discussion] Another trimming question

Peter Pennisi pentagon.systems at bigpond.com
Tue Oct 24 15:24:54 AKDT 2006

Hi Guys,

I am looking for opinions.

I am currently flying the COMP-ARF IMPACT with DZ160 which I am very pleased
with.

Model is flying with no trim and negligible mix. There is no rudder to
elevator mix for knife edge flight and 5% mix at large rudder throws for
rollers etc.

Model climbs as straight as an arrow so I am happy with my thrust settings
and the model pulls ever so slightly to canopy on long down lines which is
mixed with throttle.

The incidence settings are 0 degrees on tail-plane and approximately 1/6th
of a degree positive on the wing. The CG is about right and I don't want to
go any further forward as it creates too much work when rolling in 45 degree
up lines.

I know most of you will say that the model is fairly well trimmed. The model
is pure pleasure to fly in the calm and really locks on well however when
the wind comes up it is a different animal to fly. The model gets knocked
around and I find it very difficult to lock in a line. I am only talking
about moderate wind here. My other model (Alliance) seems to handle the
windy conditions better.  I don't want to go any heavier in the nose
otherwise rolls become too much work. I would actually like to bring my CG
further back but it will make the model even more difficult to fly in the
wind. CG is currently 5 mm behind rear of wing tube. Model weight is 4.72 KG

Question: Will changing wing incidence have any effect on model behavior in
windy weather without affecting the rest of my settings / trimming. I only
have 1/6th of degree positive and I know a lot of people run anywhere
between 0.25 to 0.5 degree on their models.

Thanks

Peter