[NSRCA-discussion] R/C time == family time, was: stir things up...

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Mon Oct 23 09:22:15 AKDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:52:32 -0800
Tom Simes <simestd at netexpress.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:40:21 -0400
> Adrien L Terrenoire <amad2terry at juno.com> wrote:
>
> > The solution for you is to make it a family thing. Get a tent, pop
> > up camper, or hard top, whatever suites your budget, and take the
> > family with you. Mom can kabitz with the other moms and grandmoms.
> > The kids can run free, and will find others to run with, and when
> > not flying, judging, or calling, you can still spend some quality
> > time with all family members. We really do have a great time camping
> > at most of the contest sites.
> >
> > Terry T.
>
> I agree!
>
> My two girls are 4 and 7 years old and one of their favorite things is
> going to the R/C field with Dad.  I don't do anything elaborate - just
> take some camp chairs and keep them well fed.  I get my flying fix
> in, the girls and I have a great time, and my wife (also stay at home)
> gets a break.  Both girls know that they need to be behind the pits
> unless they are "stuck to me like a magnet", but they love getting
> outside and romping around in the club's 50 hay field. When you're < 4
> ft tall, hide and seek in 50 ac. of 3 ft tall hay can really be a
> challenge!
>
> Tom

Please pardon me, I'm violating two tenants of 'Netiquette here; firstly
by responding to such an old post, and secondly by responding to my own
post.

That being said, my girls and I were at the R/C field this weekend and I
was working on getting next years sequence memorized.  On a whim, I
asked my 7 year old to call for me and it was great!!  When asked at
dinner what her favorite part of the day was, she immediately said
"calling for daddy" - how neat is that?!  Don't know why I didn't think
of it before...

I may have found a budding pattern buddy!  She's also flying the sim,
and I've got a Kadet LT ready to go when she expresses interest in
flying the real thing.

Tom  (feeling very lucky and proud)

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com