[NSRCA-discussion] Off topic, nothing like a crash to keep us humble

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Mon Oct 9 09:25:36 AKDT 2006

When a CL plane consistantly has the line go slack when going inverted...
there's a setup issue.

Probably  not lateral ballance
Probably not thrust angle.  (right/left angle)
Probably not rudder.
Probably not the lead-out location at the wingtip

Those all affect line tension the same upright or inverted.

Too much down thrust can cause the lines to go slack when you go inverted...
it requires being off a lot though.

Engine torque with the normal direction crcle (upright) wants to turn the
plane inward... but invert the plane and the tourque should make the plane
pull out harder.

That leaves the most likely candidate as an offset of the flaps relative to
each other.  (since the Nobler has flaps and elevator) If when upright the
offset is holding the plane out, that would cause it ro roll in when
inverted.  If the plane looks like the wingtip is drooping outboard when
upright, there's likely to be an issue with the flaps causing an outboard
roll... and inverted is a bad idea. (even though the line tension will be
very good upright)  I always wanted my wings to look like they were a
straight extension of the control lines (and my arm) in level flight.

Timing of when you change from upright to inverted will only momentarilly
slacken the lines, and a well set up CL plane, you have to have significant
wind to have a problem.  Excessivly far back lead out position, if the lines
go slack, when they tighten up, the jerk can snap the stranded steel control
lines. (but its harder to get them to go slack if the lead out position is
further back than needed...)  I generally set mine up such that if there was
no wind the line pull was slightly more than the aircraft weight, using just
enough wingtip weight to compensate for line weight, then adjusting lead-out
position at the wingtip. (for test flight... hang by the lines and the nose
of the plane needs to point down)

I found that if the lines went slack... backing off wasn't the cure.  I flew
with my arm fully extended pointing at the plane.  if the lines slacked, I
would turn faster, leading the plane, which effectively shortens the lines
AND "whips" the plane forward.  By timeing the whip in relation tothe wind
1/2 A planes on appx 20 to 25 ft line could fly for several minutes after
the engine quit this way.  Larger models on long lines, you can extend the
glide by half a lap or more.